Apartment Renovation, part Deux

Renting out the first floor was more of a challenge than I thought it would be.  Dozens of phone calls, appointments, showings and non-showings, people who call and don't show up, people with all kinds of special needs and or situations.

I finally settled on a pair of college friends who have turned out to be just perfect. Couldn't be happier.

So now it was time to turn the attention to the second floor, and the rental situation up there.  I had inherited this group from the previous owner.  Two women in their early 20's, with two toddlers each.  Lots of yelling, crying, running, omygosh it was getting pretty bad up there.  Add the scary boyfriends to the mix and even granny next door was rolling her eyes.

So I posted the 30 day notice to vacate, and they are now gone.  But not without a struggle.  Every window screen is torn or smashed, the floors are sticky with mixed-drink goo in every room. Garbage and trash everywhere.  They wrecked the place.  These people simply did not care about anything.

Onward.  Cleaning has begun, a painting company is already onsite.  I'll turn this around in no time.

Best of all, I had a couple that wanted the first floor apartment from the last go around come over and sign a lease.  Now, having learned from the last experience that 'its not over till they have signed and moved in'... I will be holding my breath until that happens.  But the sun is shining and things are looking up since I am rid of the mess upstairs. 

I'll start posting photos from the work we are starting on the second floor next week.  It's actually a nicer space.

Comments

Popular Posts